browse by:
TOPIC: Is There Absolute Truth?
TOPICS

Articles
Daily Devotions
Light or Darkness
by Janie Buck
Date: 11.06.2004

My little girl loved candy and if there was none she would eat out of the sugar bowl. Once when I was trying to teach her not to accept candy from a stranger, I asked, "If a man in a car told you he had some candy and wanted you to get in his car, what would do?" Her eyes lit up, and she said, "Oh, I would get in the car!" Many lessons followed after that startling answer from one so innocent. Truth about bad people kept my daughter safe.

Truth about God helps us know right from wrong and keeps us out of trouble too. God is light and in Him is no darkness. "Whoever lives by the truth comes into the light, so that it may be seen plainly that what he has done has been done through God" (John 3:21 NIV).

If you are living in the light of God's presence then you have nothing to hide. And that gives incredible freedom from pretense and lying to cover your tracks. Paul wrote to the Ephesians Christians, "I urge you to live a life worthy of the calling you have received" (4:1 NIV). To live worthy of the Lord he advised, "Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. Make every effort to keep the unity of the spirit through the bond of peace" (4:2,3).

The Lord lives in the person who has received Jesus Christ into their heart. He is personally present to give strength to do right. The hymn "And Can It Be" helps me remember that He lives in my heart. The song says, "And can it be that I should gain an interest in the Savior's blood. Died He for me who caused His pain." I have changed a word or two in the chorus and sing, "Amazing love, how can it be that Christ my God lives in me." Singing helps us realize God's presence.

The things in the world are so much with us. The news is enough to disturb anyone. Our hearts can be kept peaceful and full of joy if we will remember Jesus our Savior lives in our heart.

Memory Verse: "You shall know the truth and the truth will set you free" (John 8:32 NIV)

Prayer: Lord, I am not a child but grant that I can depend upon you as children depend upon parents. You are my protector and the light that makes sense of this world. I want to know your Word because I will then know you. In all the busyness of life grant that I will take time to come to you in prayer.

Home | About | Insights | Journal | Bookstore | Contact | Links

© 2004-2024 www.insightstofaith.com