browse by:
TOPIC: Me, Myself & I Problems
TOPICS

Articles
Daily Devotions
The Trouble Is Me, Myself & I
by Janie Buck
Date: 06.23.2006

There may be one person who does things that cause you a lot of trouble, or there may be a gaggle of “stupid gooses.” I discovered it really wasn’t people who caused me the most trouble. Our worse troubles are cause by who the Bible calls “the old man” that is the person we were before we became a new creation in Christ Jesus. If you became a Christian when you were very young there was not an old way of life to give up. But you still have the “old man” living right along with you like the rest of us. This is true for all believers even though we are joined to Christ. A wonderful thing about becoming a Christian is that we really are born again. That term has been so little understood that what happened is seldom clearly understood. The facts are that we were dead in our sins. “The soul that sins must die.” Because of God’s great love for us He sent His only Son as our Savior! When we understood what Jesus did and invited Him into our heart, we became a brand new person. We were born again.

Paul speaks of some Christians as babes in Christ, and he could give them only “milk, not solid food, for you were not yet ready for it.” There is nothing wrong with babies. But it breaks parents hearts when their baby doesn’t mature. A Christian who is a spiritual baby and doesn’t grow is also sad. A good diet makes human babies grow and a good spiritual diet makes baby Christians grow.

What is a Christian’s diet? God Word, the Bible, is first. One of the prophets said he ate the Word of God. We do not literally eat the Word but as we read, memorize and think about its meaning (meditate) it becomes a part of our life. It gives us strength to do the right thing in God’s eyes.

Prayer is the second part of our diet. Since Jesus lives in our body with us it is natural to talk to Him. “If you give yourself to the Lord, you and Christ are joined together as one person” (I Cor. 6:17 TLB). Don’t ignore Him as if He were in heaven and you on earth.

Fellowship with other believers encourages and helps us stay one track. Then there are a lot of people who do not know the Lord and we are witnesses. We must tell our family members, friends and even strangers what the Lord has done for us. He will use our words to encourage them to investigate why we are sure that we are going to heaven.

Don’t allow “me, myself and I” to dictate what you do and say. Remember you are born again, a new person. Feed the new you on God’s Word. “Long to grow up into the fullness of your salvation; cry for this as a baby cries for his milk” (I Peter 2:2 TLB).

Memory Verse: "...grow in spiritual strength and become better acquainted with our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ" (2 Peter 3:18 TLB)

Prayer: Dear Father, thank you for setting me free from myself and making me a brand new person in Christ Jesus. Help me remember that as I grow in knowledge of Him I will be changed into His likeness. Thank you for this glorious privilege of being your child.

Home | About | Insights | Journal | Bookstore | Contact | Links

© 2004-2024 www.insightstofaith.com