browse by:
TOPIC: Spiritual Warfare
TOPICS

Articles
Daily Devotions
Get Dressed!
by Janie Buck
Date: 04.22.2006

How many times have we given the order “Get dressed! It’s time for school,” to our children. There is usually one in a family that diddles around and needs help. Our patience runs out and we resort to yelling at the slow poke. In a seminar Dr. Henry Brendt was asked how do you get children dressed in the morning. He said, “Stuff them in them.” In other words, don’t tell them over and over to get dressed, help them.

Most of us are “slow pokes” when it comes to getting dressed in our spiritual armor. We may have read Paul’s instructions for putting on spiritual armor in Ephesians 6 but never seriously put on our spiritual “clothes.” Then we wonder why we fail to live as we should. Or, we are frustrated in our attempts to be a “good” Christian.

The bad news is there are no “good” Christians. We all are sinners saved by God’s grace. The good news is that that old part of us that loves to sin was crucified with our Lord Jesus Christ. Therefore we should “by the Spirit put to death the misdeeds of the body” (Romans 8:13). Count on the fact that “I died with the Lord Jesus and now He lives in my heart. So I don’t have to give in to temptation, frustration, and sin. By the help of the Holy Spirit I can put off things I know are not pleasing to my Father. He gives me the power to obey Him.”

The tools we need to use are listed in Ephesians six. The first thing we must do is “be strong in the Lord and in His mighty power.” To do this there are actions we must take. The first is “put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand’ (Eph. 6:13).

People are not out main problem. “Our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms” (Eph. 6:12). So quite fighting people and learn how to resist the devil.

Don’t be afraid! Our Lord Jesus defeated these wicked enemies and gave us armor to put on so we can live victoriously.

The armor God has given us can be downloaded from the book section. These short devotions will give you a start on how to “get dressed” for daily spiritual warfare.

Memory Verse: "Finally, be strong in the Lord, and in His mighty power." (Ephesians 6:10)

Prayer: Lord, I want to obey this command but I need help. Please teach me what I need to know to be obedient to you, and so I can be strong and filled with your power. My strength comes from you and I learn of you by reading the Bible, your word to us. In Jesus’ name I pray.

Home | About | Insights | Journal | Bookstore | Contact | Links

© 2004-2024 www.insightstofaith.com