browse by:
TOPIC: Is There Absolute Truth?
TOPICS

Articles
Daily Devotions
Truth Protects
by Janie Buck
Date: 12.03.2004

We can't turn on the television or read the news paper without watching or reading about violence. It is happening around the world. Our armed forces are the best trained and equipped in the world, but the terrorist still manage to kill our soldiers and citizens.

Was there ever a time like this? Yes, there was and even worse. There was a time when men were so wicked that "The Lord was grieved that He had made man on the earth, and His heart was filled with pain." Did you know we can grieve God, the Almighty? Paul admonishes us "Do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption" (Eph. 4:30 NIV).

How do we grieve the Lord? Paul gives a list: "get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice" (Eph. 4:31 NIV). One or more on this list is probably a sin that trips you.

The source of bitterness is anger. If someone makes you angry again and again, your anger turns to rage. Then hard and mean words spill out of your mouth. Or you may stuff it, just to keep peace. Unresolved issue don't just go away. If the stuffing continues, the anger and rage turns into bitterness. The heart becomes a well of bitterness that spoils the personality. A bitter person is about as lovely as a horned toad.

The end result of anger, rage and bitterness is malice. Thoughts and plans of how to get even consume the mind.

How do we get rid of these sins? Recognize how bad they are and confess them to God. He won't be surprised, but you will be thrilled when you realize the blood of Jesus cleanses from all sin.

The opposite of this nasty list is "Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you" (Eph. 4:32). This has been the "living together" verse for my husband and me. When I think of my sin and how much the Lord has forgiven me, I can't go around mad and plan on getting even. Even angry words are cut off at the pass.

Memory Verse: "In your anger do not sin. Do not let the sun go down on while you are still angry" (Ephesians 4:26 NIV)

Prayer: Father, forgive me. I didn't realize anger could lead to worst sins, and I didn't know my bad temper grieved you. Please forgive me. Thank you for giving us Jesus who taught us how to live to please you and then paid the penalty our sins deserve

Home | About | Insights | Journal | Bookstore | Contact | Links

© 2004-2024 www.insightstofaith.com