browse by:
TOPIC: Can I Stop...?
TOPICS

Articles
Daily Devotions
Are There Many Ways To Heaven?
by Janie Buck
Date: 12.03.2004

On a trip to Thailand I visited the temples to see how people worshiped. In one very ornate temple there was a statue of Buddha carved from a large green jade precious stone. It sat on a high pedestal in an elaborate temple. A stream of people came in and placed flowers and gifts on the floor, bowed and prayed to that god. I wished I could speak their language and tell them there is a living God who sent His Son to earth to save them from their sins.

Paul preached to people who knew there was a God and in their efforts to please Him made beautiful statues and built temples to the "gods." But gods made out of stone by human hands can't help anyone. When they heard about the one true and living God they turned from idols and worshiped Him. Paul wrote to the early Christian telling them how to change their old habits and live to please the Lord.

Did God provide help for Christians who understand Jesus died for their sin but are struggling to live better lives? Yes, He did!

Paul wrote that if you really know the Lord Jesus as your Savior and have learned the truth about Him "then throw off the old evil nature - the old you that was a partner in your evil ways - rotten through and through, full of lust and sham. Now your attitudes and thought must be constantly changing for the better. Yes, you must be a new and different person, holy and good. Clothe yourself with this new nature.

"Stop lying to each other; tell the truth, for we are parts of each other and when we lie to each other we are hurting ourselves. If you are angry, don't sin by nursing your grudge. Don't let the sun go down with you still angry - get over it quickly; for when you are angry you give a mighty foothold to the devil" (Ephesians 4:22-27 TLB).

Getting mad and staying angry is like deliberately beating yourself, and your spiritual life is not under the control of the Holy Spirit but the evil one. So don't allow your enemy, Satan, any room in your life.

Memory Verse: "Talk with each other much about the Lord, quoting psalms and hymns and singing sacred songs, making music in your hearts to the Lord" (Ephesians 5:19)

Prayer: Father, I didn't know my old nature before I became a Christian was what causes me to do and say things I know were wrong. I do not want the old me to control my life. I yield it to you and remember that I was crucified with Christ. By your grace and goodness to me I ask for the filling of my new nature with the Holy Spirit. Help me to remember to do this daily and even hourly until I learn to walk in the Spirit. Amen

Home | About | Insights | Journal | Bookstore | Contact | Links

© 2004-2024 www.insightstofaith.com