TOPIC: Marriage
TOPICS

Articles
Daily Devotions
What Does God Say
by Janie Buck
Topic: Marriage
Date: 08.04.2005

This may surprise someone. The Lord has a lot to say about marriage. He is the best Counselor you can take your troubles to. In fact He is the “Wonderful Counselor.” If you have exhausted yourself with self-help books and paid more than you can afford to some “expert” counselor, there is good news. Try God’s way.

Consider giving deference to one another in personal relationships. This means submitting “to one another out of reverence for Christ” (Eph. 5:13). Practically, that includes not insisting on “Lets do it my way.” It is not demeaning to give in and follow the appointed leader, which according to the Bible is the husband.

Husbands, that does not mean you lord it over your wife and children. It ought to scare you that the Lord holds you responsible for them. If what she wants is clearly wrong in your estimation you are responsible to make a right decision. The Lord told the first man, “Because you listened to your wife and ate from the tree about which I commanded you, ‘You must not eat of it,’ cursed is the ground because of you” (Gen. 3:17).

Yet a man that can’t hear from God through his wife is not listening. So honor your wife and listen to her. If you aren’t in agreement, pray for wisdom and direction. You are responsible and the final say so for your family.

“Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her” (Eph. 5:25). Take time to read and think through this verse. You are a member of Christ’s body and so is your wife, if you both are Christians. Even if one of you is not a believer, your behavior is a witness.

It “takes two to tango” is also true for a good marriage. It really takes three to make good relationships. Husband, wife and the Holy Spirit form a triangle. The Holy Spirit is at the top on the triangle and man and woman make to two bottom points. The closer you draw to the Lord the smaller the triangle, and closer you are to each other.

Advice from the Bible is “Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit” (Eph. 5:18). The drunk part is easy to understand. The “be filled” is easy too. Confess your sins and ask the Father to fill you with His Spirit.

Memory Verse: "In the same way, husbands ought to love their wives as their own bodies" (Ephesians 5:18)

Prayer: Lord! I need help to be a good husband. Please fill me with the Holy Spirit and guide me as I learn how.

Home | About | Insights | Journal | Bookstore | Contact | Links

© 2004-2024 www.insightstofaith.com