TOPIC: Knowing God
TOPICS

Articles
Daily Devotions
Keys to Loving God
by Janie Buck
Topic: Knowing God
Date: 01.08.2009

Do you remember when you first fell in love? It may have been in first grade or many times during the school years. Our heart beat faster and we could hardly say "Hello" to the one we liked best. But then we grew up and looked over the field of prospects until "Mr. or Miss Right" captured our heart. That was different. We fell in love.

There were many qualities to our love affair but the greatest was that we wanted to be with the person we loved. Some talented people write poetry about their true love. King David of Old Testament times wrote beautiful poetry about his love for God. "One thing I ask of the Lord, this is what I seek: That I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the Lord and to seek Him in His temple" (Psalm 27:4)

We don't have to go to a temple to find the Lord. The Romans destroyed it 70 years after Jesus' death. I think one of the reasons God allowed the destruction of the temple was so man would not seek Him there anymore. When we receive Jesus as our Savior and King He makes our body His temple. "Do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit, who lives in you and who was given to you by God" (I Cor. 6:19). We know that God demonstrated His love for us by sending His Son into the world to die in our place. All who sin must die and all have sinned. We are eternally grateful to God that He loved the world gave His holy, harmless and undefiled Son to die in our place. The big question is how do we love Him in return?

When Jesus was questioned about the Ten Commandments, He said the most important one was that we love God with all our heart, our soul, our mind, our strength, and love our neighbor as we love our self. Since this is our first duty, how do we love God? How can we love God whom we can't see? When God tells us to do something, He provides us with the power to do it. But we must choose to obey and depend upon His enablement. God's command for us to love Him is not for His sake but ours. It is for our good, and brings us great joy. We cannot live a peaceful and happy life unless we learn to love the Lord.

Memory Verse: "If anyone loves me, he will keep my word; and my Father will love him, and we will come to him, and make our abode with him." (John 14:23)

Prayer: Father, who wouldn't love you if they only knew you! Thank you for Jesus my Savior. I give you all my heart's love because you alone are worthy to receive glory and honor and praise. Please increase my faith and love for you.

Home | About | Insights | Journal | Bookstore | Contact | Links

© 2004-2024 www.insightstofaith.com