browse by:
TOPIC: Where is God?
TOPICS

Articles
Daily Devotions
The Temple
by Janie Buck
Date: 12.08.2004

On a trip to Hong Kong with my husband we walked in and out of many stores looking for Chinese antiques. We passed a Buddhist temple and decided to go in to see what it was like. The monks were burning incense. It smelled so bad I couldn't imaging anyone staying in there. It was not where we wanted to be! We quickly walked out of that place.

At one time there was a temple in Jerusalem where the Living God's presence dwelt. One of His prophets wrote how the Presence left the temple because of the sins of the people. The temple was destroyed and later rebuilt. It was there when Jesus lived on earth. Seventy years after He was crucified the Romans destroyed the temple and another has never been built.

Is there a temple now where God dwells? The night before He was crucified Jesus prayed for the disciples. He asked that the mighty love the Father has for Him would be in them and that He Himself would also be in them. Jesus Christ lives in a person who confesses his sins and asks the Lord Jesus to come into his heart and forgive him. Christ living in the heart makes a person a Christian.

The life filled with Jesus Christ makes Christians a "holy temple... a dwelling in which God lives by His Spirit" (Ephesians 2:21-22). This fact should encourage and strengthen us for daily living. We are not just "me, myself and I" living in our body! Our body is a temple where God lives!

Every day ask God to fill you with the Holy Spirit. We need to do this because we get so busy with life and work that we forget the Lord. When your mind is free from concentrating upon a task turn to Him and pray. This will help you experience His peace while you are busy.

Some work doesn't require concentration, like mowing the lawn or taking care of necessities. These can be times of rich fellowship with our Lord Jesus. An added bonus is His presence gives joy and peace. Don't grip and complain about mundane chores. Use your time twice by getting things done and fellowshiping with the Lord.

Don't neglect concentrated time to read the Bible and pray. This is as necessary as eating food. The Lord doesn't usually speak out loud to us. He has spoken and His words are recorded in the Bible. We hear His voice through the Word.

Sometimes He speaks audibly to our inner being. When this happens you will be the only person who hears Him. Although there are instances in the Bible when God spoke so directly to men that others around them were frighten half to death. Paul was one who heard direct instructions from God. (Acts 9:1-19)

Memory Verse: "Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a workman who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the Word of truth" (2 Timothy 2:15)

Prayer: Father, thank you for instructing me to study your Word for it is like my life's blood. It is as necessary as my daily food. Give grace that I will guard my time alone with you in reading and praying, and grant that any moments that I am not concentrating on work I will use in fellowship with you. Amen

Home | About | Insights | Journal | Bookstore | Contact | Links

© 2004-2024 www.insightstofaith.com